Monday, January 28, 2013

My top 10 guilty pleasure names

Hi guys & happy Monday! 
Today I will be telling you about my top 5 GP names for each gender.
I will include pronunciation, rank in 2011, origin & meaning (if possible; from nameberry.com), and why I wouldn't use it.

First, I should probably explain what it means for a name to be a "guilty pleasure" for those who don't know. A guilty pleasure name is a name you absolutely ADORE, but would/could never use. You may not be able to use it because it is hard to pronounce, you know someone with that name, teasing potential, or another reason.
Lets get started. These names are in no order, but alphabetical by gender.

Name: Halia
Pronunciation: Hay-lee-uh
Rank: N/A
Origin: Hawaiian
Meaning: Remembrance of a loved one
Why I wouldnt use it: I feel as though people in my area would have trouble pronouncing it. Halia also reminds me of "inhalants", which makes me think of people getting high off of bathroom cleaners and such. That kind of ruins it for me.

Name: Mirena 
Pronunciation: Muh-ray-nuh
Rank: N/A
Origin: N/A
Meaning: N/A
Why I wouldnt use it: Mirena is a type of birth control, and the commercial for it is how I first heard the name and loved it.

Name: Nevaeh
Pronunciation: Nuh-vay-uh
Rank: 35
Origin: Modern invented name
Meaning: Heaven spelled backwards
Why I wouldnt use it: Okay guys, go ahead an hate me for this one, but there is something so CUTE about the name Nevaeh to me! If so many people didnt hate it / have trouble spelling it, I would use it myself.

Name: Sofiana
Pronunciation: So-fee-AH-nuh
Rank: N/A
Origin: N/A
Meaning: N/A
Why I wouldnt use it: I absolutely LOVE this name. It sounds like the name of a princess. I just cant see a 30 year old business woman named Sofiana. It doesnt age well at all in my opinion.

Name: Tannah
Pronunciation: Tan-uh
Rank: N/A
Origin: N/A
Meaning: N/A
Why I wouldnt use it: I absolutely love this name. I first saw it when I found a birth announcement while looking through old family pictures. I wouldnt use it because it sounds like I am saying Tanner with a Boston accent. 

Name: Bentley
Pronunciation: Bent-lee
Rank: 75
Origin: English
Meaning: Meadow with coarse grass
Why I wouldnt use it: 16 and Pregnant has made Bentley SO much more popular in recent years. It is now thought of as "trendy", and I dont want my son to have 8 other Bentleys in his class.

Name: Calix
Pronunciation: Kay-licks
Rank: N/A
Origin: Latin
Meaning: Chalice (this is another name for a goblet)
Why I wouldnt use it: Pronunciation, mainly. Cale-ix, Cal-ix, Cawl-ix. I can hear them all.

Name: Grady 
Pronunciation: Gray-dee
Rank: 302
Origin: Irish
Meaning: Noble
Why I wouldnt use it: I have a house down in Cape Cod and our neighbors have a beautiful grandson named Grady. If I were to use it, it would be assumed that I named my son after him, as I have always had a crush on him. Also, many people have told me it sounds like 'gravy'.

Name: Luciano 
Pronunciation: Loo-chee-AH-no
Rank: 649
Origin: Italian
Meaning: Light
Why I wouldnt use it: Like Calix, mainly pronunciation. Loo-see-anne-oh, Loo-see-ah-no, Loo-chee-anne-oh. I also think it is too long, and I cant picture it on anyone other than a male model.

Name: Princeton
Pronunciation: Prins-tin
Rank: 978
Origin: English
Meaning: Princely town
Why I wouldnt use it: Maybe if I attended Princeton University, I would consider it as a middle name, but I do not plan on applying there, so I wouldnt use it. I also dont want people calling him "Prince". 

Thank you all for reading!
Have an amazing week!
~Ali



2 comments:

  1. Not a big fan of the boy names, but I think Sofiana is COMPLETELY ADORABLE! I also was thinking the same thing about Mirena when I saw the commercial the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorites out of these are Halia (though I pronounce it as [hah-LEE-ah]), Sofiana (though I'd prefer Sophiana), Tannah, and Princeton =) Would you be terribly upset if I stole Tannah? ^.^

    My top 5 GP names per gender:
    ~ Heiress << It's a word and I can't see myself using it
    ~ Nightshade << Too out there
    ~ Butterfly << Too out there
    ~ Astrid << She might be teased for the "As-" part of the name, especially in my area
    ~ Starfish << Too out there and just plain odd (I really don't know why I like it so much XD)

    ~ Pharaoh << Too out there and a bit much for a real person
    ~ Chaos << It's a word and it's too, well, chaotic ;D
    ~ Egypt << Too out there
    ~ Saturday << It's a commonly used word and a bit too out there
    ~ Rebel << Similar problem as Chaos -- it's a word and too, er, rebellious ^.^

    I like some pretty bizarre names ;) My GP names tend to be reaaaally crazy.

    ReplyDelete