Friday, January 11, 2013

Guest Blogger: Gabby


Today, our guest blogger is Gabby! Please welcome and enjoy the post Gabby has written for us today!
------------------------------------------------
The Perils of Having a Well Named Family
I have a huge family. Not a huge immediate family, but my extended family is HUGE! I have 20+ cousins on one side (I’m too lazy to actually count every single cousin, spouse and child on that side). My mother’s side isn’t that big, but I still have 5 cousins on that side. My mom is one of 4 girls, and my dad is one of 5(4 boys, 1 girl), and everyone has at least one child, and one spouse. Now this doesn’t sound like there would be a baby naming problem, just a problem of forgetting someone’s birthday (thank you Facebook for now eliminating that issue!), but there is a huge baby naming problem in this mix of 40+ people, almost every single one of them has an awesome name, one that I would like to eventually use. They are classic, and cute, and pretty, and masculine, and on trend, and most of them are just perfect for me. I’ll start by taking you through some of my dad’s side, then my mom’s, then my grandparents, finishing with my wonderfully named sisters.

Aunts/Uncles (dad’s side):
Claire: My Uncle Tom married a wonderful woman, she is smart, and just lovely inside and out. And her name is no less wonderful.
Thomas: I have two Uncle Toms. My Aunt Nancy married one, and then there is my dad’s brother Tom. Adding one more into the mix would be even more confusing, even if mine wouldn’t go by Tom.
Edward: Again, one of my dad’s brother’s, wonderfully named with a name that is now out of my reach

Cousins (Dad’s side[this list is REALLY long]):
Emily: I don’t care that this name topped the charts for so long; it’s simply amazing to me. It’s so pretty and classic, and feminine, and one of my cousin’s names
Andrew: Again, classic, masculine, biblical, and to me just really amazing.
Julia: Goodness, I love this name. It’s feminine and classic, not overused, and biblical. I also really love Julianne, so I think I might end up using that in the future as a substitute to Julia.
Patrick: I love this name, it’s super cute. I like that it’s Irish, and not too popular
{note: all 4 of the names above are from one sibset}
Erin: This name is kind of dated, I know this, but I still think that it’s lovely!
Matthew: Ugh, I just love Matthew. It’s handsome and classic.
Katherine: Again, feminine and classic, and beautiful. One of the alternatives that I’ve come up with for this one is Kate; I love Kate but not as much as Katherine.
Elizabeth: I am SO in love with the name Elizabeth. I basically swoon every time I see it. I think it’s so pretty and classic, and seriously just wonderful!
Zachary: This name is just cool to me, maybe it’s the Zach Morris connection, I don’t know, but I love it!

Aunts/Uncles (Mom’s Side):
Evan: He is married to my Aunt Jill, lovely name, can’t be used 

Cousins (Mom’s Side):
Emily: See Above
Andrew: See Above
Noah: I really love the name Noah. I think it is super duper cute, and really ages well.
Sophia: Would use this name in a heartbeat, even if it is super popular. Though my cousin goes mainly by Sophie…..possibilities here?
Grandparents:
Ruth (mom’s mom): I love the name Ruth, especially as a middle name, but honoring is really my thing unless the person has had a HUGE impact on my life
Mary (dad’s mom): I don’t care if people think this name is boring, I think it’s wonderful; I would even consider using the name Mary Ruth. There is one really big problem though: my dad’s parents had a realllly nasty divorce.

Sisters!:
Alexandra: She goes mainly by Allie or Alex, never Lexie, and I love her name. It’s princess-y and just beautiful
Molly: Love her name. So amazing, and really cute!

So would you consider using any names that some of your extended family members have? Do you think any of these names are usable for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment