Friday, December 20, 2013

names from 16&Pregnant

Happy Friday!! I’m writing this post on Wednesday a few hours before finishing my last exam. After this, I’ll only have three more semesters of my BA. Crazy. Before writing one of our harder exams, my friends and I decided that the best way to chill post exam would be to watch hours of trashy reality TV. Trashy reality show of choice? 16 and Pregnant. So, this post is on the names the moms picked from season 3 of 16 and Pregnant.

Noah James – I love this name. Noah is such a classic. James is a bit of a filler middle, but the combo sounds so lovely that I can’t fault it.

Joshua Devan and Noah Matthew – Noah Matthew is also gorgeous. Noah was a popular choice this season. Joshua was after the father and although I love the idea of honoring names, on this show it makes me cringe because of how often the parents end up hating each other. Sure enough, they didn’t stay together. I like Devan well enough, but would be more apt to spell it Devon.

Miah Christine This spelling is cringe worthy. The mother pronounces her name as My-uh, but if I read it first, I’d definitely say Mee-uh. I seriously hate the name Maya, but at least Maya/Maia would make sense. I’m neutral towards Christine.

Jamie Jr – I like Jamie for a boy, but I’d prefer it as a nickname for James or Jameson. Also, the whole naming the baby after the father thing makes me super uneasy on this show. I’m not sure if this baby truly doesn’t have a middle name, or if Jr is the middle name.

Kylee Sue – At first, when they were talking about this name and I imagined it as Kylie, I was ok with it. When they showed it spelled out on the screen, I actually laughed out loud. Everything about this name says redneck to me. The spelling is ridiculous, the flow of it and Sue in general.

Preston Michael I went to elementary school with a guy whose first name was Michael and last was Preston so this combo obviously sounded super familiar to me. Currently, one of my best friends is named Preston so I have a fab association that I think has made me like the name a lot more than I would otherwise. Although I really like the combo, Michael is another naming after the dad situation.

Enrique Jeiro Seriously, naming after dads was the trend of the season. I really do not like either of the names, but this baby’s father is Hispanic, so I can at least understand wanting to use names from that heritage.

Kay’den Elijah Ugh. Grammar in names is probably one of my biggest naming pet peeves. No one needs an apostrophe in their name. Ever. Caden Elijah would be a darling, totally valid combo, but Kay’den. Just no.

Aubri Rose – I have so many issues with Aubri. First issue, that spelling is ridiculous. If you’re going to use it, at least spell it right- Aubrey. Secondly, Aubrey is a masculine name. I feel like a lot of people think its related to Audrey, but it’s actually derived from Alberich a clearly masculine German name. Thirdly, I just don’t like it. Rose is so common as a middle name and another name I just don’t like.

Aydenn Anthony Spelling. What even is Aydenn. Aidan is so lovely and that spelling just looks awful without changing the name at all. I just don’t get it! Anthony is cute, but alliterative combos aren’t my deal.

            So those are my thoughts on the names from season 3 of 16 and Pregnant. What are your thoughts on them- agree? Disagree? Leave a comment! :) And have a fab holidays!


Hayl

No comments:

Post a Comment