Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Pats!


            Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!! Now, I’m a complete mutt, but I do have a little bit of luck o’ the Irish in me (as I’m sure you all guessed with a last name like Sullivan) and it comes out in full force every March 17th. In keeping with the theme of the day, I’ve decided to do this post on Irish names. I’ve tried to restrict myself to names that ranked high in Ireland, but if they also rank significantly (top 100) in the US, I’ve included that too.

Boys

Name: Conor
Meaning: dog lover/wolf lover
Popularity: 5 (Ireland), 54 (USA with Connor spelling)
Thoughts: Although I prefer the two n version, which is more common in Australia, the UK Canada and the US, this is a darling name. It’s one of those names that jumps on and off my list and I love when others use it too. It does have a distinctly Irish feel, but is completely accessible for non Irish folks too. Taking into account both spellings, it does have extreme global popularity which could be a downside for some.

Name: Ryan
Meaning: little king
Popularity: 6 (Ireland), 25 (USA)
Thoughts: Out of curiosity, I had to check the popularity of this name for my birth year. As suspected, Ryan peaked in popularity for North America in the 90’s explaining why I know so many Ryan’s. Despite trending down in North America, this name is still extremely popular, but I could see it being dated in 10-15 years. Currently, it’s a sweet, if not overly interesting choice.

Name: Aidan
Meaning: fire
Popularity: 48 (Ireland)
Thoughts: For some reason, Aidan has this illusion of being hyper popular in the states despite having never moved higher than 39 (and being 107 in 2011). Aidan to me is a name that sounds like its meaning. I definitely picture a little Aidan having flaming red hair and a fiery personality to match. I think it’s a fun and spunky name that deserves to be as popular as its image suggests.

Name: Rónán
Meaning: little seal
Popularity: 50 (Ireland)
Thoughts: I think Rónán is absolutely darling in every way. The sound is similar to Roman and Rowan, both names I really like and the meaning is precious. I think Rónán is the kind of name that could easily find popularity in the US. Until then, it’s the perfect name for someone who wants their kid to be the only one in the class without having a name that’s too out there.

Name: Ciarán
Meaning: black
Popularity: 53 (Ireland)
Thoughts: Although I far prefer the anglicized spelling, Kieran, Ciarán is my current top name and I absolutely adore it. I think Ciarán is super strong and masculine, but still elegant and adorable for a little boy. This is a name I can just so completely see on a future kid of mine and want everyone else to love as much as I do. I also think Ciar (pro. Keer) would be a fabulous nickname option in passing.

Girl

Name: Caitlín
Meaning: each of the two
Popularity: 75 (Ireland)
Thoughts: In North America, Caitlín peaked in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Because of this it might seem a little dated, but I think it’s still a name worth consideration. Caitlín is super light and pretty and the original spelling is so much more visually appealing to me than the far more popular Katelyn. Cait/Kate is one of my favorite nicknames and a definite upside to this name as well.

Name: Orla
Meaning: golden princess
Popularity: 85 (Ireland)
Thoughts: Orla is so pretty to me. I think its super elegant and unusual but still meets the easy to read and pronounce test. It’s virtually unheard of in North America which takes a little bit of the appeal away for me, but could be super for a braver namer. I also think the meaning is just plain lovely.

Name: Sinead
Meaning: god is gracious
Popularity: 97 (Ireland)
Thoughts: I first heard this name (pro. Shuh-naid) on the gorgeous Sinead Brady of Canada’s Next Top Model and pretty much instantly fell in love. It’s not as friendly to North American ears as the other names I’ve talked about so far, but it’s so lovely and elegant that I’d definitely recommend it to a braver namer or a namer with stronger Irish heritage.

Name: Bridget
Meaning: exalted one
Popularity: n/a
Thoughts: Bridget was on my list eons ago, but I sort of fell out of love with it. Never the less, it’s beautiful, spunky name with a cool history. I’ve never met a Bridget, but the Bridget Jones’ Diary association is a pretty strong one. Despite that, I still think Bridget is quite usable for a unique, but not out there name.

Name: Nessa
Meaning: not gentle
Popularity: n/a
Thoughts: I first heard Nessa as a nickname for Nessarose in the musical Wicked. To me, the name is far too connected to the musical, but for someone who’s not seen it, it could be an adorable choice. It could also be considered a little too nickname-y, but in that case could be a cute nickname for Vanessa or Agnes.

            Those are my favorite Irish names. I hope you all enjoy a little green beer or Irish whiskey. Leave a comment with your favorite Irish names, or favorite names from your heritage period. And then take the opportunity to get your Irish on ;)
Until next week
- Hayl

No comments:

Post a Comment