Sunday, April 21, 2013

some of my friends


Hey all! In honor of it being my final week of second year, I thought I’d talk about the names of some friends I’ve made or grown close to this year. 

Name: Annie
Rank (In Canada): n/a
Meaning: Diminutive of Anne or Anna (Anna ranks 47th in Canada)
My Thoughts: Until recently, I’d assumed Annie was a nickname. After learning that it’s not, we’ve taken to occasionally calling her Annabel, which completely fits. I think Annie is so adorable, but would never use it as a full name. Anna and Annabel (that spelling only) are my favorite Ann- names.

Name: Sarah
Rank (In Canada): 17
Meaning: Lady or Princess
My Thoughts: Sarah is one of those names I want to love, but can’t. I think part of it is that it’s been done to death in my age group. Both Sarah and Sara were top 50 names in ’93 and I just find it boring now. My friend Sarah is a fab association thought, she’s so stunning and a lovely person.

Name: Henrietta
Rank (In Canada): n/a
Meaning: Feminine diminutive of Henry, meaning home ruler.
My Thoughts: I think Henrietta is pretty cool, but it’s not something I’d ever use. I do adore Henry for a boy and all the nickname options in Henrietta. Hattie is my favorite.

Name: Alexander
Rank (In Canada): 25//77
Meaning: Defending men
My Thoughts: To me, Alexander is a pretty fab name. Its 25 spot and the fact that Alex is in 77 make prove that others agree with me too. It’s so strong and masculine and cool, but still a total classic. I also adore the nicknames Alex and Sasha. I may or may not have a huge crush on my Alex, which is making me love his name even more!

Name: Joseph
Rank (In Canada): 71
Meaning: He will add
My Thoughts: Joseph isn’t a name I’d really ever thought about much. I actually had no idea it was so popular in Canada. It’s very masculine and classic, which I love. To me, it’s one of those names that fits a lot of categories, it’s Biblical, but also common. The Joe I know is also incredibly funny, so that’s a good association.

Woo! Don’t get me wrong, I love school, but it’s GREAT to be almost done. And halfway through my BA! Crazy! Hope you all finish up school well. And if not in school, hope you get to summer well too :)

-          Hayl

No comments:

Post a Comment