Friday, April 5, 2013

Candace's Guest Post



Today's guest post is from Candace, enjoy!!
-----

For beginnings, I will cover my own name, Candace April:

Candace: I like my name. When I was younger, I did not because I felt like I didn’t have my
own name, being that I was named after my grandmother. But, as she never uses Candace, and
instead goes by Candy, I feel now that I have Candace to myself, and I think it’s a pretty name.
(1) – Latin origin: meaning – “candid; sincere”
(2) – Greek origin: meaning – “fire white”
(3) – Biblical origin: meaning – “queen mother”

April: This also was a family thing, my middle being chosen by my grandfather. He picked his
birth month as my name, and I’ve grown to like it, despite this not being my birth month.
(1) Latin origin: meaning – “open,” in reference to flowers opening their blooms in
spring.

Nicknames: Candy, Kanye, Cands, Ace, Cana

And now, here are my favorite names for my future minions:

Sansa Nanami
Sansa: Literature origin: A main character in the fantasy series, “A Song of Ice and Fire” by
author George R.R. Martin. Also a TV show now, called “Game of Thrones.” Some believe
Sansa was based on the name Sens, which is related to Sancha, meaning “holy.”
Nanami: Japanese origin: meaning – “seven seas.”
Nickname: -none-
Pronunciation Note: Nanami = nah-nah-mee

Astoria Eleni
Astoria: (1) Latin origin: meaning – “star”; (2) Old English origin: meaning – “hawk”
Eleni: Greek origin: meaning – “torch, corposant”; a form of Helen.
Nickname: “Tori”

Rui Cosima
Rui: Japanese origin: meaning – “gem life”
Cosima: Italian origin: meaning – “order, decency.”
Nickname: -none-
Pronunciation Note: Rui = Roo-ee

Cordelia Eve
Cordelia: Latin-Celtic origin: meaning – “heart; daughter of the sea”
Eve: Hebrew origin: meaning – “life”
Nickname: Cordy; Delia; Della; Cori; Dia

Ebba Hermione
Ebba: Scandinavian origin: meaning – “brave as a boar”
Hermione: Greek origin: meaning – “pile of stones”; related to the Greek god Hermes;
Hermione is her own personage in Greek Mythology, the daughter of Helen; also a main
character in the famous Harry Potter fantasy novels.
Nickname: -none-
Pronunciation Note: Ebba can be said either EE-buh or Ebb-uh.

Lyra Maëlle
Lyra: Astronomy origin: after the constellation in the northern sky containing the star Vega. Said
to be shaped after the lyre of Orpheus from Greek Mythology (Source: BehindTheName.Com)
Maëlle: French-Breton origin: meaning – “prince”; feminization of Maël.
Nickname: -none-
Pronunciation Note: Lyra = Lie-ruh; Maëlle = my-L

Olivine Marina
Olivine: (1) English origin: meaning – “olive tree” (2) a type of gem of the same name
Marina: Italian origin: meaning – “of the sea”
Nickname: Liv
Pronunciation Note: Olivine = Oll-eh-vine

Tamsin Helena
Tamsin: English origin: meaning – “twin”; a contraction of Thomasina
Helena: Greek origin: meaning – “torch, corposant”; a form of Helen
Nickname: -none-
Pronunciation Note: I say Helena “helen-uh”

With Two Middle Names—

Sansa Nanami Eulalia
Astoria Maeve Eleni
Rui Cosima Adèle
Cordelia Hanako Eve
Ebba Hermione Flynn
Lyra Penelope Maëlle
Olivine Marina Lou
Tamsin Helena Pearl

Eulalia: x origin: meaning – “well-spoken”

Maeve: Irish origin: meaning – “intoxicating”

Adèle: French origin: meaning – “noble”

Hanako: Japanese origin: meaning – “flower child”

Flynn: Irish origin: meaning – “red”; this is a family name on my mother’s side; she suggested I
could even use it as a girl’s middle name, and eventually the idea grew on me.

Penelope: Greek origin: meaning – “bird; threads”

Lou: French origin: meaning – “famous warrior”

Pearl: English origin: meaning the gemstone

End Notes: I hope you’ve enjoyed my favorite names, and let me know what your thoughts on them are
if you wish. I think if I had to pick my absolute favorites, I’d go with Sansa & Astoria. I’d really love to
have little girls named those. J

No comments:

Post a Comment