Monday, April 1, 2013

My Honest Thoughts About the Top 10 of 2011

Happy Monday!
I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend!
Last week, I gave you my thoughts about the least popular names of 2011. This week, I will go in depth and talk about my thoughts on the top names of 2011.
I will mention the top 5 for each gender. They are in order by rank & gender. I have provided the name, rank, # of babies named that name, meaning, origin and my thoughts.
As always, the names, ranks and # of babies comes from SSA.gov, and the meaning and origin come from nameberry.com.
Boys first, girls to follow.
Enjoy!

Name: Jacob
Rank: 1
# of babies: 20,153
Meaning: "supplanter"
Origin: Hebrew
My thoughts: I have mixed feelings about this one. I really do like it, but I know SO many Jakes / Jacobs that it has just become blah to me. Popularity is never an issue for me, but this name is TOO popular, in my opinion. I would never use it because my son would be one of many Jacobs in his class.


Name: Mason
Rank: 2
# of babies: 19,396
Meaning: "worker in stone"
Origin: English
My thoughts: I absolutely love this name. Despite it being #2, I would name my son this in a heartbeat. It is absolutely precious, and I can see it aging very well.


Name: William
Rank: 3
# of babies: 17,151
Meaning: "resolute protection"
Origin: English
My thoughts: This name has been in the top 20 since 1880, the earliest year SSA.gov has records of names from. I am honestly shocked that it is still up on top. I am not a real fan of this one, but I would use it if I had to. I love the nickname "Will".


Name: Jayden
Rank: 4
# of babies: 16,861
Meaning: "thankful"
Origin: Hebrew
My thoughts: I love every single -ayden name out there. I don't care how "trendy" they may be. I think they are so cute, and there is something so sweet-sounding about them to me. Aidan has been my #3 name for about 2 years.


Name: Noah
Rank: 5
# of babies: 16,719
Meaning: "rest; wandering"
Origin: Hebrew
My thoughts: Noah is absolutely precious. It is always on and off of my top names list. I think it is so adorable and absolutely know why it is in the top 5. I would definitely name my son this if my spouse liked it!


Name: Sophia
Rank: 1
# of babies: 21,695
Meaning: "wisdom"
Origin: Greek
My thoughts: Like Jacob, the #1 for boys, Sophia is SO overused. I know more Sophia's than I could count on my fingers and toes. I prefer the much less popular name Sophie.


Name: Isabella
Rank: 2
# of babies: 19,745
Meaning: "pledged to God"
Origin: Spanish, Italian & Hebrew
My thoughts: I absolutely am in love with this name. It sounds so exotic and every Isabella I have come in contact with is stunning. This name has been on my favorites list since I was 12 and really got into names.


Name: Emma
Rank: 3
# of babies: 18,674
Meaning: "universal"
Origin: German
My thoughts: I really don't like this name. Contrary to Isabella, every Emma I know is really rude and annoying. No offence to the thousands of parents & name lovers who like this name, it just isn't my taste. 


Name: Olivia
Rank: 4
# of babies: 17,169
Meaning: "olive tree"
Origin: Latin
My thoughts: I have a new found love for this name. I am an Alivia myself, however, so I would never be able to use it. I just think it is so pretty, and the nickname "Vivi" is absolutely adorable.


Name: Ava
Rank: 5
# of babies: 15,383
Meaning: "life"
Origin: Hebrew
My thoughts: So pretty! I never liked Ava until last year, and now I love it. I really like short, two syllable names, and Ava fits into that category. Absolutely precious!

Well, that's it!
Have a great week, and don't forget to check back for Jamie's post tomorrow!
~Ali








No comments:

Post a Comment