Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Top Names


Hello all. I’m Hayley.  I’m sure a lot of you know me from formspring (HaylStorm9), but if not, I’ve guest blogged here before about names of some Canadian hockey players. I really enjoyed writing that post and having people read what I’d written, so I kept bugging Jamie to be able to write more guest posts. When it seemed there was an opening for another regular poster, I jumped at the opportunity and her, Kirstie, Ali and Jaylyn were awesome enough to let me become the latest member of this blog! I’m beyond excited to have another outlet to talk names with these lovely ladies and the lovely people who read this blog. My favorite names seemed like a good place to start, however, I am the queen of indecision. So although these are my favorite names for right now, there are no promises that they’ll be my favs a week from now. Anyway, without further ado, here are my top names of right now!

BOYS
Kieran Douglas
Kieran is an anglicized, diminutive form of the Irish name Ciar (pro. Keer). Kieran means “dark” and is not in the Canadian top 100. Douglas is an anglicized form of a Scottish surname, meaning “dark water” and is also not in the Canadian top 100. I’ve always loved the name Keegan, but had a hard time seeing it on a child of mine, on a whim I was browsing other K names on behind the name and Kieran jumped out at me. Douglas is my father’s name, and I doubt I would love it as much if I didn’t have such a great association. I can completely see this name on a future son of mine. I think its so cute, yet still very masculine.
Hunter Isaac
Hunter is an English occupational surname and is ranked at 41 in Canada. Isaac is a Hebrew name meaning “he laughs” and is ranked at 54 in Canada. Hunter has been one of my favorite names for a very long time. I’d always thought of it as being too surname-y for me, but one time during a conversation with a friend about what we’d have named ourselves if we’d could have picked our own names, he brought up Hunter. I’ve loved it ever since. Isaac is my uncle’s name and my brother’s middle name. I love the family connection more than the name itself, but I think it fits with Hunter flawlessly. What I love about this combo is how effortlessly masculine it is. Hunter Isaac is a VERY manly name in my opinion.
Jacob Alty
Jacob is a Hebrew name meaning “may God protect” and is number 4 in Canada. Alty is a family surname that does not make the Canada top 100. Jacob is a name I’ve always loved, however, its extreme popularity kind of scared me off. Recently I’ve just been loving it too much to not use it. It’s so handsome and masculine and I think its hyper popularity balances Alty’s unusualness. Alty is a family surname that my grandfather and a few other family members have as a middle name. I think it would be a perfect way to honor my grandpa since my brother has “called” his first name.

GIRLS
Arden Claire
Arden is an English surname derived from a Celtic place name meaning high. It is not in the Canadian top 100. Claire is a French name that means “clear, bright, famous” and is ranked 27th in Canada. Arden is the name of a beading supply shop where I get a lot of my beads. When I was making jewelry over the summer, I was seriously considering the name Arden, but when many on formspring hated it, I settled for Eden instead. Recently, I met a girl named Arden in my international relations tutorial. She’s super sweet, very funny and intelligent and absolutely stunning. I’d never met an Arden before and meeting such a super ambassador for the name convinced me I had to use it. Claire is my nana’s name. I think it’s gorgeous and sweet and I love the meaning. I think the combo Arden Claire is very unique and cute.
Piper Ruth
Piper is an English surname name originally given to one who plays the flute. Piper is ranked at 91 in Canada. Ruth is a Hebrew name meaning “friend” and is not ranked in the Canadian top 100. I’ve always adored the name Piper, but until recently felt it was too guilty pleasure to use. I love the musicality of it and how sweet and quirky it sounds. Ruth is my grandmother’s name. I used to dislike it and only want to use it for the family significance, but it’s grown on me substantially. I think as a combo, its Piper Ruth is very spunky, but still sweet.
Ruby Emeline
Ruby is an English gemstone name deriving from the Latin word for “red” and is ranked 66th in Canada. Emeline is the French form of an old Germanic name meaning “work” and is not in the Canada top 100. Ruby is a family name for me. It belonged to my great great grandmother and has since been used on a handful of other family members. I adore –em names and Emeline is one I absolutely fell in love with when my (French Canadian) nana mentioned a childhood friend with the name. As a combo, I think Ruby Emeline is a little more classic than my other names but still would fit in a sibset.

            So there are my top names! Thanks for reading and feel free to leave comments with likes/dislikes/hellos or anything you want. :)
- Hayl

No comments:

Post a Comment