Thursday, September 18, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom! Names from Law & Order: SVU


In celebration of my mom's birthday today, I'll talk about the names of characters from SVU.  I'll only talk about the originals not the new people (can't stand them).


Elliot
I really hate the name Elliot on either gender but looking at Elliot Stabler (or Christopher Meloni in general) just makes me love it.  I MEAN LOOK AT HIM.... DROOL!

Olivia
Mariska Hargitay (muh-rish-kuh) plays Det. Olivia Benson and was Elliot's partner throughout the show until his departure.  I really don't like the name Olivia but the squad mainly calls her by her nickname "Liv" which I adore as a full name.  

Odafin "Fin"
A super unique way to use Fin as a nickname.  Fin Tutuola is easily one of my all time favorite characters on the show.  Ice-T is a fantastic actor and rapper.  Because of this show, I'm liking this name a lot.

John
Plain ol' John.  Not John Munch.  Richard Belzer's excellent portrayal as the conspiracy theorist and witty Detective.  I like John's variant, Jack, and the French form Jean (zhawn) but John is just plain IMO.

Donald
Gahh Dann Florek is amazing.  Captain Donald Cragen has been with the show since the beginning, but eventually left the show.  I do prefer Ronald but Donald is an awesome pet name.

Melinda
Melinda is such a mystical name and I love it.  Tamara Tunie plays the very professional Medical Examiner Melinda Warner and never bended the rules.  With the nickname Mel or Ellie it's perfection.

George
BD Wong is one of my favorite small screen actors and is very good at playing doctors (he's played 2 on the small screen and 3 on the big screen).  George is one of the few names I despise.  I really like the feminine forms Georgiana and Georgianna but George is old-man-y.  Dr. George Huang (hwawng), like Warner, rarely bended the rules and when he did, it was for the good of humanity.

Casey
Casey Novak was the original Assistant District Attorney on the showed but was followed shortly by Alexandra Cabot.  As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of the name Casey but I'm doing this for my mommy.  Casey is an alright name and I'll leave it at that.  ADA Casey Novak is played by Diane Neal.

Alexandra
Last but not least is the most recent ADA, Alexandra Cabot played by chef Bobby Flay's wife, Stephanie March.  I can't decide who I like more as an ADA but Alexandra > Casey name wise.  


What are your favorite names from crime tv?

1 comment: