Friday, September 27, 2013

My Favorite Names Not On The SSA Top 1000

TGIF! I hope everyone had a good week. Mine was long. I’m super pumped for a very calm weekend with my pets and a good tv series (and sadly, a whole bunch of homework). Today, I’ve decided to do my blog post on my favorite names outside the SSA Top 1000. However, first I’m going to reveal the answers to Tuesday’s name riddles. If before you read the answers you want to go back and try a hand at the riddles, check this link (http://babynamenook.blogspot.ca/2013/09/what-name-am-i.html)!!  Here are the answers, Quincy, Reese, Isis, Sebastian and Macy. If you have any questions about the clues in my riddles, feel free to leave ‘em in a comment here. I’m sorry if the riddles ended up being too hard! Now, onto my post!

GIRLS

Name: Abbey
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 250
Abbey is an English diminutive for the name Abigail, meaning “my father is joy”. Abigail ranks 7th on the SSA list, but I think this nickname can stand alone. Abbey is also another name for a monastery or convent, which could make it a cool way to honor a religious connection or love of architecture. To me, Abbey has the sweet, but spunky feel that most nickname names carry while still having a rather classic feel.

Name: Emeline
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 90
Emeline is a French name derived from Germanic elements meaning work. Although several spellings of this name make the top 1000, this one is the original and in my opinion, the most visually appealing. Emeline would be perfect for parents with French heritage who want to go a little off the beaten path but still have a similar feel to popular names like Madeline and Caroline.

Name: Imogen
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012:  111
Imogen is an English name derived from the name Innogen, meaning maiden. Imogen is super popular in the UK (32 in England/Wales and 86 in Scotland) as well as in Australia (55), but it’s virtually unheard of here. Imogen is super gorgeous and way underused in my opinion! It also has the association of being a character in a Shakespeare play, which is a huge plus for me. Immie and Jenny/Jenna are both cute nickname options.

Name: Margot
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 235
Margot is a French diminutive for the name Margaret, meaning pearl. Margot is very common in France (52) and in Belgium (72). To me, Margot is super spunky and sweet and I have the association of the character in John Green’s Paper Towns (spelled Margo).

Name: Verity
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 51
Verity is an English name meaning truth. Although I’m not usually a fan virtue names, but truthfulness is one virtue I can always get behind! I first thought of using Verity after reading Elizabeth Wein’s Code Name Verity. Although in the book, the character’s real name is not Verity, it really stuck with me. I think Verity is absolutely stunning and way more interesting than most other virtue names.

BOYS

Name: Bailey
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 121
Bailey is an English occupational name for one who is a bailiff. Bailey is at 79 in the US for girls and also ranks highly for boys in the UK and Australia (90 and 85, respectively) so it is definitely not an unheard of name! Bailey on a boy reminds me of the fabulous character in Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. Bailey could be a fabulous choice for slightly braver American parents.

Name: Bishop
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 182
Bishop is an English occupational name for one who is a bishop. Bishop is a super masculine sounding name, however, the extreme religious associations put me off slightly. For someone with religious ties, Bishop is a really cool surname-y name that would fit in with other common surname-y names that are popular right now.

Name: Campbell
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 146
Campbell is Scottish name meaning crooked mouth. Campbell makes me think of the lawyer in Jodi Picoult’s My Sister’s Keeper. I’d never heard this name as a given name before reading that book and it stuck with me. I think it’s a really cool sounding surname name!


Name: Raleigh
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 81
Raleigh is an English name meaning read clearing. Raleigh is most known as being a place name of a city in North Carolina. Raleigh has so many things going for it that I’m honestly shocked it’s not three hundred times more popular than it is! Place name, “lee” sound ending, surname name, it’d make a perfect choice for someone who wants a popular sounding name that is by no means popular.

Name: Tiernan
Number of Babies with this Name in 2012: 54
Tiernan is an Irish name meaning little lord. Tiernan is popular in Northern Ireland (88) and is just so classically Irish to me! I absolutely adore it. It’s ultra masculine, but still sweet sounding. Tiernan would be a fab choice for someone with Irish heritage who wants a name that’s still easy to pronounce and spell.

            So those are my favorite names off the SSA Top 1000. As I’m sure most of you know, my style generally swings towards the popular, but lately, I’ve been absolutely LOVING Verity and Tiernan. What are your fav names off the Top 1000?

-          Hayl 

No comments:

Post a Comment