Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ladies of the Bible

Happy Thursday Everyone! Today I am going to talk about Biblical names! Biblical names have always been popular, with good reason; most are beautiful and solid classic names! I’ll put the rank in the United States as of 2012. On with the names, I think we’ll talk about the wonderful women of the Bible, next time a blog, the men!

1.      Abigail (#7): This beautiful name from the Old Testament is popular for a reason. Abigail is beautiful and classic, with the lovely nickname Abby or even maybe Gail if parents want something a little bit different (though as much as I love Gail, I think I’m in the minority). Having been in the top 10 for 12 years, Abigail isn’t exactly a creative choice, but it is beautiful.
2.      Eden (#164): This beautiful Biblical place name has been rising since it entered the top 1000 in 1986. Eden brings to mind pictures of paradise and beauty in my mind, probably because of the place, but also because of the sound of this name. With the adorable nickname Edie, this name could work on any age.
3.      Elizabeth (#10): Elizabeth is the premiere classic name, having never left the top 30 (slipping to 26 in 1945). Elizabeth is long and beautiful, with many different nickname choices. Currently, Elizabeth is my number one name (funny, last time I wrote a post, I had a different top girl name, shows how consistent I am). I love that Elizabeth has so many great namesakes, and if you hear it, you don’t know how old the girl behind the name is going to be.
4.      Eve (#558): The name of the first woman in Biblical history, this name is short, sweet, and beautiful. While Eve might have some negative connotations because she was tempted by the serpent in the Garden of Eden, I still think Eve is beautiful. The nickname Evie is also adorable
5.      Hannah (#22): This lovely palindrome name, ranking pretty high in the top 100 is beautiful and classic. Hannah, mother of Samuel, was a great woman of faith, and I’ve always loved her story for some reason. Hannah is a wholesome name, with lots of history.
6.      Leah (#33): Another popular name, Leah is both beautiful and strong. An Old Testament name, Leah is full of history. I love the sweet and classic sound to Leah. Leah, who was the sister of Rachel and wife of Jacob in the bible, is a name that could fit a girl/woman of any age.
7.      Mary (#123): Mary. What can you say about the complete classic Mary? We call know one, and she was on top for hundreds of years, finally being dethroned by Linda in 1947. Many may say that Mary is boring, and overused, but personally I love it. Currently my number 2 name, Mary screams class and beauty to me. Mary I think might be the most well-known women in the bible and might be the most well-known name, but she is still wonderful.
8.      Miriam (#314): Miriam was the sister of Moses, and a prophetess in the Old Testament. Miriam is a wonderful name, with connections to the above Mary, this classic name could be perfect for honoring a Mary. I personally love the nickname Miri, and the full name Miriam.
9.      Ruth (#344): Ruth has such a lovely story in the Bible that makes it hard not to love this name. I’m not going to go into the entire story of Ruth (or actually Book of Ruth) but seriously, if you’re curious, go GoogleJ. This is my Granny’s name, and it will be the middle name of one of my future daughters if I do have one. I love how classic and short the name Ruth is too, it’s starting to feel fresh again to me
10.  Sarah (#43): Once a top 10 name, Sarah is starting to fall in popularity, but not in beauty. Sarah, who was the wife of Abraham and mother of Isaac, is a beautiful and classic name. It also boasts the spelling of Sara, which is at #143, and this might make the name Sarah a little confusing. No matter what the popularity is, I still think Sarah is gorgeous.


No comments:

Post a Comment