Thursday, May 22, 2014

Grace's New Favorite Names!

So this week I’m going to do what I usually think is a big no-no: talk about my favorite names. I did this back in January, and since then my names have changed a little bit…and honestly will probably change again as soon as I post this but I think having insight into the naming styles of the people whose blog you are reading is important, and my style never changes, just the names! I’m just going to talk about my top 5 for each gender and pray that it doesn’t get too long. I get a little too ramble-y sometimes, lol.

William Craig- William has been my top name since about March 2013, and I don’t see it going anywhere any time soon. To me William is just a very handsome and strong name. I really think that William can suit any person, of any age, in any profession and to me this makes a great name. Craig, like all of my middle names, is an honoring name. Craig was my mom’s brother’s name who died when he was 9 years old, so I never met him. If I had been a boy, either my first or middle name would have been Craig. I think because my mom never had a son it would make her really happy if I used the middle name Craig. (If you recognize this explanation, it’s because it’s the same as last time)

Theodore Pierce- Theodore is a name that is always on and off my list. I seriously adore the charm of it, and how sophisticated it sounds. I would personally use the nicknames Teddy and Ted, for two different reasons. I love the idea of calling him “Teddy Bear” when he’s little, and I’m a total nerd and love TED Talks (if you don’t know what those are, you haven’t lived) I don’t LOVE the nickname Ollie, but I don’t think many people would use it if I didn’t. Pierce is a diminutive of my dad’s name, Peter.

Jonas Alexander- Jonas is an interesting name for me, and I used to really dislike it. Recently I reread the book The Giver (if you read my last blog post you would know this), and I just fell in LOVE with the name Jonas (which is the main character’s name). The Giver is just an awesomely dark book, and it is probably one of my favorites. Also, Jonas is a diminutive of John, which is an important name for me for many different reasons. Alexander is the male form of my sister Allie’s name, and I really want to honor her. She is one of my favorite people, and one of the most important people in my life.

Elliot Durstan- Elliot is the name of one of the boys I’ve been working with in Special Olympics, and I just adore him, and his name. It’s always one and off my list, but finally meeting an Elliot helped solidify it as a name I could see myself using. Durstan is my grandpa’s name J

Quinn Phillip- There’s this little boy with Down syndrome whose mom writes a blog (some of you might remember him, he was called ugly and his mom wrote an awesome letter to the haters), and he is just so awesome and cute he made me love his name. Quinn is also just short and sweet to me. Phillip is my other grandpa’s name, and while I don’t think the flow is 100% good, I can’t use his middle name :P (It’s Adolph…)



Hannah Ruth- Hannah is just such a sweet name to me! It’s simple, cute and classic. I also think it just sounds awesome with the middle name Ruth. Ruth is my granny’s name, and I’ve always wanted to use her name as a middle name for one of my children. My middle name is my maternal great-grandma’s name, so I think it would be fun to have my daughter have her middle name be her maternal great-grandma’s name.

Audrey Karoline- Audrey is a name that I have always had a bit of a soft spot for. I find it very classy and beautiful; the Audrey Hepburn connection doesn’t hurt either. Karoline with a K looks very weird to most people and most people don’t like it, but I have my reasons for using it. My mom’s name is Karen, I don’t like Karen, but I do like Caroline, so to honor my mom, I switched the C to a K and made Caroline Karoline!

Sophie Alexandra- So, The Da Vinci Code might be one of my favorite books ever, and I think that in a way is where my love of Sophie (the name of the main female character) comes from. I also love just the sound of Sophie. It sounds sweet and young, but can also be grown up. Alexandra is again for my sister Allie J (If I had a Jonas Alexander, I wouldn’t reuse Alexandra, though that would mean I had six kids, which is terrifying)

Maia Hope- Maia, Maia, Maia. A name that is always on and off my list, and usually, every other time has a different spelling. I like the Maya spelling too, but Maia just seems perfect to me. I love the I in the middle J Maia is so classy and gorgeous to me as well. The name Hope means a lot to me, it isn’t exactly honoring though. Hope to me is the greatest emotion, as hope is the only thing that can conquer fear, and as someone who has had trouble with anxiety, hope is really important to me.

Juliet Rachel- Juliet is a name that I think is just absolutely adorable. I love how feminine and cute it is while still sounding really strong. I can picture a Juliet on any type of girl. Rachel is an interesting honoring name for me. It less honors a person, and more honors and experience. I did the Camino di Santiago between my junior and senior years of high school, and it was truly a life changing experience that thought me so much about myself. One of the people who took my group along the trail was named Rachel, so that’s where this name comes from for me.

Have a great few weeks guys, xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment