Thursday, April 24, 2014

"The Giver" Names

Hello everyone! Happy Thursday! I know I missed my post last time, but life is especially crazy for me right now. I’m in 3 AP classes (college level for those who don’t know what AP is) and those exams are coming up soon, as well as trying to decide on college, all my additional homework, as well as work and all the volunteering that I do, I just have no extra time.

So on with the post! I am utterly and completely obsessed with the book The Giver by Lois Lowry! I just reread it, and am now obsessed with the names in it! So today I'm going to talk about some of the awesome names in the book :) (I'll put the US 2012 popularity numbers in parenthesis) 


Jonas (#474)- Jonas is the main character of The Giver and I really love his name. I think it's super adorable and could fit a lot of different types of little boys. Now that 'The Jonas Brother' aren't too big of a thing, I see this name as much more usable. 

Asher (#108)- This is the name of Jonas's best friend in the book, and I'm also really liking his name (I might say this about all the names, I'm in book hangover mode). Asher has been slowly gaining popularity over the past few years, and I see it entering into the top 100 when the list for 2013 comes out in about a month. 

Fiona (#209)- Fiona is the name of Jonas's crush in the book, and I think she has a super adorable name. I like the name Fiona despite the 'Shrek' association, which I think might (hopefully) be fading in people's minds.

Rosemary (#603)- I don't want to say whose name this is because I don't want to give away anything about the book in case some of you out there haven't read it. Though, I have to say, she has one of the best names in the book! I've really been loving the name Rosemary lately and have been thinking about putting it on my list! 

Lily (#16)- This is the name of Jonas's little sister, and I find it adorable. I love that Lily has a bit of spunk but is also soft and pretty. Though it's popular, I still think that it sounds fresh and lovely.

Gabriel (#24)- Again, not going to say whose name this is as to not give anything away, but I seriously love his name! The name Gabriel just sounds so sophisticated and lovely. I would totally use the name Gabriel except for the fact that I really dislike the nickname Gabe :(

So that's it! None of the adults in the book are named. Also, and interesting thing about the names in The Giver is that no one in the community that Jonas lives in can have the same name, so there are no repeats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment