Thursday, June 5, 2014

Old Hollywood Names!

Because this week's theme is celebrity names, I decided that my post should be a Throwback Thursday type of post (it is Thursday after all), and talk about Golden Era/Old Hollywood star names! It's going to be more girl heavy than boy heavy though, sorry, I like more of the girls names.

 Audrey
                                                                           
                                                                                           
I could not make this list without talking about the gorgeous, talented, amazing Audrey Hepburn. She was just an amazing woman who gave up a career in Hollywood to become a UNICEF ambassador. Ms. Hepburn also has an AMAZING name, one that happens to be in my top 5. I find Audrey in general one of the most classy names out there, and the connection to Audrey Hepburn  sure doesn't hurt.


 Greta
Scream Queen Greta Garbo is another Hollywood power-house with a wonderful name. I find the name Greta a beautiful, underused named that deserves more attention. Greta could also be a nickname for the beautiful Margaret, although I prefer it on it's own.

Ava
Ava is a name that in the past ten years has shot to super-stardom in the United States, and I can clearly understand why. The Old-Hollywood connection to the beautiful Ava Gardner really does help this name. This name is so short and sweet, and I can truly see it on any type of girl, of any age.

Harlow
Taking a bit of a different path with this name, the surname path. While Jean Harlow's first name has not come back into style, her last name sure is catching one. It appeals to so many different people, those who like surnames, those who like unisex names, and those who like Old-Hollywood names.

 Ingrid
The gorgeous Ingrid Bergman has not seemed to have helped her names in this Old-Hollywood name boom, and I don't quite understand why. I find Ingrid SO cool, and I would love to meet a little Ingrid sometime soon. I feel like this name could get a little more popular in the next few years because of Ingrid Michealson.
 Gregory
Can we all just swoon for a moment? Gregory Peck is one of the most attractive men I have ever seen, and my goodness, he helps me like his name. I was never a fan of Gregory until I first saw To Kill a Mockingbird which he plays Atticus in (this also admittedly started my obsession with Old Hollywood movies started). I'm not sure I would ever use Gregory because I despise the nickname Greg.

Cary

Let's all just swoon again, aren't these Old-Hollywood guys SO hot! I love the name Cary purely because of Cary Grant. I totally think it's time for more boys to be named Cary, and I think there is hope, with the name Carrie for girls becoming more and more dated.

Gable
And we will end with a surname for the boys. Clark Gable was a wonderful actor, and he also has a great first name, though I see his surname becoming a big standout in future years. It would be an awesome alternative to Gabriel if people want something less common than Gabriel, and it could appeal to people wanting an Old-Hollywood connection in a name. (Can I please please please meet a brother and sister set of Gable and Ingrid? I would die.)



No comments:

Post a Comment